« Home | Sweetie, Dahlia... » | What's Hot? » | The Death of a Disco Dancer » | 2006 MTV Video Music Awards » | Cuchi! Cuchi! Cuchi! » | Gweneth Feels the Feeling » | Happy Birthday Madonna! » | I've Got A New Complaint » | For The Love of Judy » | Saviour Onassis' PRISON » 

Friday, October 13, 2006 

Get On The SHORTBUS

By all means, you have to see John Cameron Mitchell's new film, Shortbus. It's an exhilarating cinematic experience exploring sexuality, love and life. Set in post 9/11 New York, mostly unknown actors (the best kind) engage in graphic sex scenes that help tell the story of their characters. It's an astonishingly beautiful film, intimate and engaging. I highly recommend it.



I love JCM's Hedwig & The Angry Inch and was more than a little worried that he planned to follow it up with "The Sex Film Project", as it was known for the last several years. But Mitchell delivers the goods here. It is explicit, but not in a titillating way, you become invested in the characters and the journey they are on. I can't really articulate exactly what I think of the film quite yet... In some ways, I feel like I have never seen a movie before in my life. I have definitely not seen anything like this before and it excites me to think about the ways this film will alter the cinematic landscape in years to come. In an age where people are obsessed with reality shows that are unrealistic, I think that the impact of Shortbus will be huge. Rarely are films so heartbreakingly funny and truthful. It moved me. It made me what to be one of the "special" kids. It made me want to ride the shortbus, all the way home...

oh my god i loved Hedwig and the Angry Inch! now my boyfriends little sister is obsessed with it. :p hm.. maybe thats unhealthy.

Post a Comment