« Home | Baby Brangelina Photo » | Paris Hilton "Stars Are Dumb" » | Another BRICK In The Wall » | Can We Get Together? » | X-Men: The Last Straw » | Julie Johnson on DVD » | The Grizzly Rejects » | Based on a Story: Peaceful Warrior » | Old Queens Battle for Spotlight » | Jessica Lange » 

Thursday, June 08, 2006 

Hollywood Royalty


Faye Dunaway is Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest: Hollywood Royalty Edition, a deliciously priced DVD with all kinds of fascinating special features. The highlight on this disc is the commentary track by John Waters, director of Pink Flamingos, Hairspray and Cry-Baby, who says things like: "Christina was lucky. Everytime she complained, she should think what those nuns would have been like in the orphanage. At least she got presents!" and "I wore an ascot in the seventh grade and got beat up." Truly, the entire track is almost as quotable as the film itself.

I was ten years old when Mommie Dearest came out. It hit me on so many levels, but as a child, I only knew that I was witnessing one of the truly brilliant creations of modern times. The film is operatic, it glistens and smolders and rages in a way no other film ever has, or ever will... This is due to the highly committed performance of Dunaway. I am not just talking about the "wire hangers" or "bring me the axe", but in every single line delivery, every nuance, every breath... She is a woman possessed. Based on the "revenge" book by Joan's adopted daughter, Christina, Mommie Dearest is probably the infamous film ever made about a Hollywood icon. Scathing reviews, reportedly, ruined the career of its star, Faye Dunaway, but I adore her in this film. The DVD set me back ten bucks and is well worth every penny. The is the funniest film about child abuse, ever!

And that is the funniest line about the funniest film about child abuse ever. I've never seen it from start to finish but I'm sure the John Waters commentary is worth more than 10 bucks alone.

Just to be cheeky, I knicknamed my mom "mommy dearest" after seeing that movie, and I still call her that 9 times out of 10.

There was a hilarious ancient old SNL parody of that movie where Gilda Radner played Christina and was a COMPLETE fucking spaz.

Dale: It is SOOO worth it. See this film with as many dysfunctional friends as possible and you will be surprised at how much you laugh.

Reese: Do you still use wire hangers? I somehow missed Miss Radner's parody, but I was raised by drag queens who made me a complete spaz, as well.

I Remember Radner & Reese.

Post a Comment