« Home | Based on a Story: Peaceful Warrior » | Old Queens Battle for Spotlight » | Jessica Lange » | Lauper Turns To Prostitution » | All About Evey Hammond » | Adam & Steve » | Weirdest of the Weird » | T for Transvestite » | Natalie Portman Gangsta Rap » | Based on a Story » 

Sunday, May 14, 2006 

The Grizzly Rejects

This weekend, NetFlix decided I needed to explore some good old-fashioned exploitation flicks. I was excited to see The Devil's Rejects because I have worked with Rob Zombie and I have a great respect for the man. He wrote and directed this sequel to House of 1000 Corpses, set in the late seventies and exploits the same elements as other horror films of the era, but with a modern twist. It's a disgusting, ugly, perverted film about disgusting, ugly, perverts doing disgusting, ugly, perverted things. I really liked it, though I realize it's not for everyone. If you are a fan of more traditional "horror" films, you might be disappointed too. This is weird stuff. Any filmmaker with the good sense to cast Sid Haig, is a genius in my book.



But their are other twisted filmmakers at work on their own self-indulgent work, like Werner Herzog, who culled through countless hours of footage shot by Timothy Treadwell, filmmaker/bear activist/crazy person. The resulting film, Grizzly Man is a fascinating portrait of a man on the edge. Treadwell lived near grizzly bears in the wilds of Alaska for 13 summers before one finally killed him and the pretty blonde he had brought along on his last trip in 2003. Herzog created a gorgeous mood, with music and details, though some of it seems forced. There is a tape recording of Treadwell and his companion being attacked and killed. Apparently, there was not time to take off the lenscap. Much is made of this recording, it is descibed in detail by the coroner and listened to on camera by Herzog, who tells the woman who possesses the tape that she should never listen to it and should destroy it right away. The horrific descriptions provide enough details, that I, as an audience member, am finally grateful not to be exposed to sounds that might "haunt me for the rest of my life."

Cool that you've worked with Rob. I believe his flick is playing on the movie channel here and I will check it out.

I've also heard a lot about Grizzly Herzog and hope to check that out too.

Isn't it exciting that I'm pledging to hope to check out 2 movies? I might need one of those neck things - life's moving so fast.

All in good time, Dale. All in good time.

Post a Comment