« Home | Hollywood Royalty » | Baby Brangelina Photo » | Paris Hilton "Stars Are Dumb" » | Another BRICK In The Wall » | Can We Get Together? » | X-Men: The Last Straw » | Julie Johnson on DVD » | The Grizzly Rejects » | Based on a Story: Peaceful Warrior » | Old Queens Battle for Spotlight » 

Monday, June 12, 2006 

Art is Deceitful Above All Things

Continuing the theme of child abuse films: The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things is out on DVD and worth a look if you are interested in seeing a bizarrely unmoving film about a boy who, we know now, never existed. And that is a good thing in this case.

Directed by Asia Argento, who made a similar film about her own life, Scarlet Diva, this Heart was based on the novel by JT Leroy. Argento adapted the book to screenplay, directs and stars in this film. You go, girl! Frankly, having read the book, I was expecting something much more brutal. The story involves a young boy whose Mother is a white trash/drug addict/prostitute and their adventures together after she regains custody of him. The how and why is never explained... Basically, it's a slow moving train wreck with the darlings of the indie film scene showing up to beat, molest and torture the kid. Cast includes: Michael Pitt (Last Days), Ben Foster (Six Feet Under), John Robinson (Elephant), Jeremy Renner (Dahmer), Kip Pardue (The Rules of Attraction), Winona Ryder and Marilyn Manson. The child actors are actually very good and Asia Argento has a unique gift for film making. But somehow, I found the whole thing quite disengaging. Her father is Suspiria director Dario Argento, which makes her the Italian Horror Tori Spelling.

DVD includes a limited edition book of photographs by Mick Rock, which chronicles the "JT Leroy" phenomenon and also some interesting footage of readings, including Savannah Knoop in full JT drag. The more I think about it, I can't believe anyone bought this story. Supposedly, JT went from having AIDS (the initial plan was to kill him off) to being a transsexual (they liked the attention of rock stars too much). Asia, who says she "slept with JT" before the hoax was revealed, explains it this way: "I just thought they make really good pussies these days."

They must, because I'm one of them.

I saw Suspiria quite a while ago and therefore I'm afraid just thinking about what badness Asia could get up to. I recall reading about the whole JT thing but since my life is already bizarrely unmoving, I may have to pass on the film.

I should know better, you know?

This competed at Cannes in 2004! Never saw much of a theatrical release and now I own a defective copy. Apparently, the first run DVD's skip over the scene where the meth house explodes. D'oh!

I love Asia, though. She is CRAZY!

I remember a review of this movie from a few months back on the Mondo Movie Podcast, which made it sound amazingly bleak, if a little pointless, though I may be mis-remembering on the pointless score. I like Argento, so I may have to try and check it out from sheer morbid curiousity. I have that same reaction to a lot of Catherine Breillat's films, in that they make me quite uncomfortable, but I still come back for more.

If you are really interested, Mob, I highly recommend Scarlet Diva. The level of self parody/self portrait is extremely capitivating, as Argento racks her own image over the coals.

The only thing I know of Argento is that Vin Diesel movie - but I'm glad to see Winona Ryder's back in movies.

XXX is the one Argento film I refused to see, largely because she's an underground indie darling and she said she did it as a lark.

But yes, Noni is back. I love me some Ryder! We also have A Scanner Darkly, The Darwin Awards and her reunion with Heathers director Daniel Waters: Sex and Death 101 to look forward to

Noni is back. I love me some Ryder! We also have A Scanner Darkly, The Darwin Awards and her reunion with Heathers director Daniel Waters: Sex and Death 101 to look forward to.

Now this is good news.

Yes, good news worthy of a post of its own...

I will work on that.

Post a Comment